A case in point is – can we recollect easily the last time we appreciated something around us or in others?
Isn't is hard to do so as there aren't be too many such occasions.
The interconnectedness of people that promised camaraderie and togetherness has in fact created a more self-centered society where personal success and achievement rules the roost. We are seeing an erosion of fundamental human values and Gratitude is one of those key values that is diminishing. The “Thanks” or “Thank You” are hard to come and if they come, they are just so robotic.
Let’s dig deep and examine why gratitude is eroding and what could we do to cultivate it
What is Gratitude?
Gratitude is the basic quality of appreciation or being grateful.
Why is Gratitude important?
- Gratitude builds holistic health and personality by positively impacting our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspect.
- It shapes the growth of society as connecting together is a key tenet of a flourishing society
- It complements the interconnected nature of the virtual world that we live in. Our parallel online world needs real values to build lasting relationships.
- The new smartphone generation needs to imbibe basis human values like gratitude to build a holistic personality.
- Gratitude acts as feeder to many more essential human values like kindness.
How to cultivate Gratitude?
The simplest way to cultivate gratitude is to make a transition from “Thanks to Thankfulness”. Practising the following would help us achieve the same
- SATISFICING which means finding delight in what’s given to us. This builds in the quality of being grateful for what we have. This further triggers our orientation towards the much needed concepts of decluttering, minimalism and essentialism. Maintaining a “gratitude journal” is an easy way to do so. The journal entries act as a reminder to us that by default there are plenty of things that we need to be grateful for in our life such as the beautiful body, the nature, the family, the friends, the sunshine, and so on.
- MINDFULNESS which builds awareness of the present moments and makes us appreciate the beauty that lies in each moment. This generates feeling of gratitude and makes us grateful for each moment.
- EMPATHY which is the foundation of human relatedness. Empathy propel us to connect with others at a deeper level and establish an emotional connect. It’s this deeper connection that builds in us feelings of gratitude.
- CONNECT MORE – One of the major downside of technology is that the opportunities to meet face-to-face are very few. This lack of physical connection inhibits our basic human tendency to relate to others. Establishing more face to face connections will kindle the feelings of gratitude.
- A LITLLE EXTRA – Once we imbibe the basic feeling of empathy and start connecting more (at a physical level), offering a little bit extra through our intent and action will develop more gratitude.
So, what are you grateful for today ?